On 8/1/07, Vikram Ranade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 750 GB drives cost 11k each at Nehru Place.
>
> we've just bought a bunch of them for storage.

bunch of 750GB HDD for home storage.
gulp!
i agree with kishore, you gotta give a talk at freed.in "Raiding the
kitchen: what's cooking in terabytes at home."

01. seems like everyone's recommending going the hard-disks way, where
the hard-disk *is* the removable media. we live in interesting times.
am confused on whether i should go raid0, 1, or 5. refreshed my
theory-fundas off wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

but what do you guys recommend?

02. surprisingly, no one is recommending tape-archive. but makes sense too.

03. the amazon S3 idea is a winner on its own merit. but will have to
psychologically prepare myself: my home personal data, totalling
several gigabytes, is in a digital godown several hundred miles away,
accessible from anywhere with a click, for which i have to pay rent
every month in US dollars.
now we live in even more interesting times.

04. even off-line archive on hardisks is being recommended. however, i
just had a nasty clickety-click on a 3-week old hardisk i was still
filling to the brim with data.

05. what i find unusual is no one is recommending HD-DVD or blueray?
is it out and available in india? at what prices? what is the actual
storage available on those new shiny platters?

06. last week i discovered some companies have started shipping a
Network-Attached-Storage with built-in wi-fi. i dunno if this is
available in india, and at what price. what do you guys think?

incidentally, those keen to check out what made me stumble to this
wifi-NAS, click here:
www.sonos.com and you'll understand why people would need a wifi-NAS
at home. great link for ankur rohtagi. ;-)

wouldn't a wifi-NAS make sense? i know this is a dumb question, but
hey! i'm dumb! would a NAS be as reliable as a RAID5 array,
performance, price, etc...?

thanks for your continued discussions on this topic.
am glad to learn from all of you and appreciate your sharing.

:-)
niyam