Anupam Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What are you saying.. At 12k it's the best Linux based phone readily
> available in India!

Yeah, but is it better than the "best" non-linux phones in that price range?
Probably not for non-linux types. But maybe excellent for people like us.

The review link above is actually is from an experienced reviewer who is
looking at it from a general user perspective, and he rates it as average.

How good you rate it depends on what your needs are, and the components that
go into your definition of "best"

Anupam:
> At 12k it's the best Linux based phone readily
> available in India!

Yup. The A1200 is probably cheapest at Subiksha. In a couple of years
they'll be giving them away free in cornflakes boxes ;-)

PJ:
> , and not too open

Anupam:
> That unfortunately is true. I wonder if it violates the GPL.

Very very unlikely. Companies like Motorola have a default policy of
routing things past a competent legal department ("ip rule add from phonecoders
table legal-department" ;-)) before allowing code out the door.

I caught a glimpse of Raj's A1200 at the last lug meet. If I understood
him correctly, then some of the driver modules are closed binaries. Which
is OK under GPL, but sucky for if you want to play around with the software
innards.

Overall, I reckon that for now it's probably the best of the bunch for people
keen on linux.

PJ