On 17-Aug-07, at 1:16 PM, Anupam Jain wrote:

> *could* try to hammer into his head why package management is a
> much better
> option than installers but instead I just introduced him to synaptic..

synaptic is the same as apt-get - no problem using it. Until it
doesnt work for some reason ...
> could teach him VIM but I'd rather tell him to use gedit.. I could
> ask him
> to download using wget but I'd rather say "drag drop the link into
> the kget
> icon".. It's the only way we can all get along amicably..

i have a newbie friend who is in coimbatore and I have to sit in
chennai and debug things over the phone. The trouble with GUI is that
it is useless when it comes to debugging a problem. He knows to open
a console, to su to root - all other commands, i spell out the
command and ask him to press enter when done. Editing, still no
problem - i make him cd to the relevant directory and type kwrite on
the prompt and press enter. He uses kwrite to edit and save, exits
and he is back on the command prompt. So no need to teach him vi or
vim or emacs. In the instant case he was sharing files between two
machines using the gui to set up sharing over ssh and konqueror to do
the copying etc. But it stopped working - and all the gui could say
was 'unable to connect'. In these cases, one has to do ping, ssh from
the console, look at logs ... one thing i can say for him, he records
all the sessions on the console, saves everything and learns quite a
lot. If everything works - nothing like gui. But everything doesnt
just work, and a guy who is unable to try some CLI stuff to debug
might as well go back to doze where everything either works or you
live with what doesnt work.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves