thanks rakesh and gora for your assistance. my comments below:

On 8/17/07, Gora Mohanty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What do you mean by root password "no longer
> working". What did you try, and what happens.

booted into fiesty normally using my username and password at login,
and resumed my normal user tasks. however, the moment i opened a
terminal and typed su - i got

su: Authentication failure
Sorry.

> > a quick 'pwck' command results in
> > pwck: cannot lock file /etc/passwd
> [...]
>
> You need super-user privileges to run pwck.
> Thus,
>   sudo pwck

uh ok. sorry did not document the errors i got on running this.
nevertheless, i followed rakesh's suggestions, checked that i did have
the shadow file and the passwd file, edited them as rakesh suggested,
changed my password in a terminal, and everything worked again: in the
terminal i could finally log in as root by issuing the su command
followed by the regular password of the user.

then as root, i just ran pwck, here's what i got:
invalid shadow password file entry
delete line 'root::::'?

what should i do here?

tia