> wonderful - so after 3 years or so, firefox guys are uninterested in
> the second largest country in the world. How come Konqueror manages it?
Aren't we being a little hard on them? If I were to interpret what
firefox developers might be saying (completely my words), it would go
something like this:

We have checked the code into firefox to enable "complex text layout"
necessary for some non latin scripts including many from indic, arabic,
south east asian, and arabic languages. For anyone distributing firefox
for these languages, please compile with the options required to enable
CTL. We are not enabling it by default for everyone, because the
performance penalty for the rest of the users does not justify the gains
as most indic (or other such language) speakers browse the web in
english. (More so, they generate most of their web content in english,
and use english language skills as a differentiator to show/feel that
they are educated and high class.)

After that it is the responsibility of the indian foss community and
other government agencies to make sure that ctl builds are available.
For instance ubuntu and many other distributions' firefox build is by
default ctl enabled, and all one needs to do is set the environment
variable.

I have personally never had problems with firefox w.r.t. indic. So, feel
a little bad if the good folks at firefox get bad PR due to
misunderstanding.

If someone feels that it is not enough, they should find the firefox /
ubuntu / redhat / <your favorite distribution> forums and make a case as
they deem appropriate. I'd be happy to contribute to any discussion
regarding enabling ctl by default in firefox.

Cheers,
Ajay