Dear All,
I had the chance to explore the world of opensource first Pe#rson
Shooter (FPS)
games this weekend and i was amazed to experience the quality of games
out there!

Back in my windows days I was an avid Counterstrike player.So much so
that i went through
the pain of playing Counterstrike and its variants under wine when i
switched to Linux completely. This was a far from ideal solution and
half the games had annoying issues with sound or mouse control.
The Steam Engine is pretty temperamental with Wine and Linux and I have
wasted many weekends struggling to get decent gaming with
Counter-strike- Source.

Anyhow ,I installed some amazing games
- Urban Terror http://www.urbanterror.net/
- Open Arena http://www.openarena.ws/
- Tremulous http://www.tremulous.net/

These are based on the ioquake3 project http://ioquake3.org/
that is built upon id Software's Quake 3 source code release.
The source code was released on August 20, 2005 under the GPL.
Since then, they have been amazing things with it.

They all have Decent game play,graphics and good AI.
I have earlier bought Counter-strike and half life for 50$ and now these
amazing
quake mods are offering the same performance and gaming experience.

Anyhow,if anyone is into FPS gaming or is already playing these games,
is there a server
list in india where the pings would be a better?

If not,I have been toying with the idea of hosting a Urban Terror server
for some weekend fun.Will post the IP when it is up and running.

Happy shooting!
Vikram