nice info. vikram, specially for [FPS gaming] + [linux] addicts like me..!!
i have never seen any posts related to 'gaming on linux' in ilugd before, so
this one's a welcome surprise.

is there some port of counter-strike source available for linux.
i know some guys who play CS regulary with a dedicated server
thru a freeware VPN software --> Hamachi (also available for linux).

i'll definitely try the games u have pointed out, and let u know if more
guys are interested..!!

On 10/8/07, Vikram Ranade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I had the chance to explore the world of opensource first Pe#rson
> Shooter (FPS)
> games this weekend and i was amazed to experience the quality of games
> out there!
>
> Back in my windows days I was an avid Counterstrike player.So much so
> that i went through
> the pain of playing Counterstrike and its variants under wine when i
> switched to Linux completely. This was a far from ideal solution and
> half the games had annoying issues with sound or mouse control.
> The Steam Engine is pretty temperamental with Wine and Linux and I have
> wasted many weekends struggling to get decent gaming with
> Counter-strike- Source.
>
> Anyhow ,I installed some amazing games
> - Urban Terror http://www.urbanterror.net/
> - Open Arena http://www.openarena.ws/
> - Tremulous http://www.tremulous.net/
>
> These are based on the ioquake3 project http://ioquake3.org/
> that is built upon id Software's Quake 3 source code release.
> The source code was released on August 20, 2005 under the GPL.
> Since then, they have been amazing things with it.
>
> They all have Decent game play,graphics and good AI.
> I have earlier bought Counter-strike and half life for 50$ and now these
> amazing
> quake mods are offering the same performance and gaming experience.
>
> Anyhow,if anyone is into FPS gaming or is already playing these games,
> is there a server
> list in india where the pings would be a better?
>
> If not,I have been toying with the idea of hosting a Urban Terror server
> for some weekend fun.Will post the IP when it is up and running.
>
> Happy shooting!
> Vikram

Sahil

MCA(SE)