> the target audience is anyone  who wants to learn any Indian
> language. Unfortunately we are a foss organisation, so cannot use non-
> free stuff - so we are in the soup. I am strongly tempted to use wav
> or something which the janata can use. But if we do that - aren't we
> throwing in the towel? On the other hand, seeing the discussion on
> this and every other mailing list on how the faithful are happily
> listening to mp3 and wav files I suddenly wondered why not us too?

How do you get your ogg files? Aren't they encoded from wav files?
That is, how do you directly generate ogg files? I do not know much on
this but I thought mp3 and ogg were two different ways of encoding wav
files.

BTW, you may also want to look at flac, a loss-less compression
mechanism that is loss.

Vikas