On Jan 14, 2008 5:59 PM, Linux Lingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> suggestion+opinion: stay away from youtube for the above type of
> video, if you wish to promote foss-based valuesystems.
> read the EULA of youtube to know more.

I am sure this is probably going to be controversial. But I have a
simple question. Before that I have to affirm that I truly believe in
the principles of Free Software and Free Knowledge.

Youtube has this EULA with a view to primariliy prevent copyright
violation suits by people who use the system as has recently happened.
Obviously they would also have plans of monetizing the content in
whatever way they can and would probably like to get possibilities of
law-suits out of the way. Companies have to go to these drastic
extremes to save themselves the trouble of fighting these people who
1) violate copyrights and lead to lawsuits 2) file lawsuits with an
objective of extorting money. If all people were perfect there
wouldn't have been any such law suits. But all people are not and
companies can't take chances like that.

Also a person who is willingly accepting the EULA as a cost for his
being able to publish his content to a much larger number of people
than he otherwise could have on his own and without bearing the cost
of server space, server maintenance and bandwidth would be in a "give
some - take some" position. He gives the right to the content and in
turn gets the
audience and saves on the cost. How is that against the FLOSS based
value system?

Companies exist to make money and they do just that. When companies
are small they can make decisions where making money may not matter or
where they can put higher priority for a value system than for making
money. But once they grow large and goes public, making money becomes
their main objective. Even the blip.tv would sooner or later come to a
stage where they have to somehow ensure that they don't fall prey to
such incidences, as those that happened for youtube, and put up
something like that in their EULA.

> > Be the change you wish to see in the world
> >                                           M. K. Gandhi
> sigh! wrong accreditation. actually, Gandhi was quoting Gautam Buddha,
> who said this first as part of his vision. what we have are current
> english translations from the original pal via several languages
> through the ages, but the essential idea is the same. buddha said more
> on the lines of 'you must be the change you wish to see in the world.'

Maybe it was Budha's idea. Again, Jesus Christ had said something
similar. But I guess Gandhiji was the one who phrased it as such and
gave it the popularity through his attempt at the implementation of
the idea. Also he must have been the one who coined it in English
because it is attributed to him across the board. So accreditation may
not be quite wrong.

Cheers
Anoop

http://www.zyxware.com