On 24-Jan-08, at 12:10 AM, Gora Mohanty wrote:

> At least to me, there is a clear distinction between community
> events, and others that use the word "community" as some sort
> of branding to sell themselves. I am happy to let everyone
> decide for themselves which events falls into what category.

All he is saying is, if a bunch of events are held in february, and
if the organisers communicated among themselves, they can share the
expenses of bringing in foreign speakers. What has this got to do
with the distinction between community events and other events I
cannot understand. Let us take a simple use case:

LFY invites and pays for a person to talk on 11th feb. They intimate
other events that this person could be available from 8th to 20th to
talk - maybe if the other events can pick up the tab for internal
travel/accomodation or something. What is wrong with responding to
such a communication - even if LFY is doing it for some selfish end?
If the various event managers could communicate their plans early,
sharing of resources could be done. Or do you consider LFY so evil
that you wouldnt entertain anyone paid for by them? Or is it that
each event is competing to see how many biggies they can get? And do
not want to share 'their' biggie with others?

Bunching together february events could pay big dividends this way.
There is no problem about splitting the potential audience since the
events are well separated in distance. There may be a small problems
with splitting speakers - but if this results in new and different
speakers at each event it may reduce monotony also. At present, one
finds a set of the same speakers at all events in India which tends
to be a little boring.

I personally am in favour of bunching the events in february close
together - maybe a gap of 2 days between each.

As for the 'clear' distinction between community events and other
events, I find the dividing line extremely unclear. What exactly is
the community? Who belongs to it? If you say that only those who use
and write free software exclusively, I dont think anyone in India
qualifies. All of us - people and organisations are 'tainted' to some
degree or the other - so it ill behoves us to to point fingers at
others.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves