Dear Niyam,
  I was going to ignore this, but feel compelled to reply
as I strongly disagree with what you have to say. Please
understand that this is by no means a personal attack on
you.

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 02:54 +0530, Linux Lingam wrote:
> [snip]
>
> a) bill has no choice but to defecate his billions. he can't digest it
> all in this life. he can't take it with him to his grave. he can't
> give it to his children and devastate them. too much wealth can
> sometimes be a dreadful burden.
>
> b) he's taking the most measured approach yet in recorded history, to
> bring principles of capitalism to charity.

I have a question for anybody I hear declaim about the so-called
dangers of wealth. What are you personally doing about this? There
are several hundred million Indians waiting for your spare wealth,
several thousands in Delhi alone. For many of these people, spare
wealth is anything beyond a few rotis, salt, and if they are lucky,
chillies, to sort of fill their bellies for today.

If these do not meet your criteria, I am willing to be the glad
recipient of any wealth that *you* have to spare. In the meantime,
please spare me your crocodile tears.

I have been thinking seriously about such issues, and feel that
one could make a convincing case that Bill Gates, through the work
of his foundation has done more tangible good than the free
software movement. Read up also on robber barons in the US;
Nelson Rockefeller in particular.

While I do not at all accept Microsoft's predatory policies,
nor the attempts of institutions like Microsoft India to
claim that somehow the charity of the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation means that governments should buy more Windows
desktops, this absolutely does not mean that anything Microsoft,
or anyone associated with it, does is automatically bad.

> c) gautam buddha, mahavir, and a few saints who thought hard about the
> inequality of wealth always found an easy way to equality: donate
> wealth and become poor themselves. alas, all the wealth given away
> through thousands of years by hundreds of wealthy people has not
> eradicated poverty. yet. it has only made the wealthy poor by their
> own choice, and helped quite a few assuage their 'money guilt' perhaps
> because, as mario puzo once said 'behind every fortune there is a
> crime.'

Double bah!

Anybody who hides behind any kind of -ism, or resorts to invoking
the names of great people, has already abdicated any personal
responsibility. It does not matter whether it is Hinduism,
Buddhism, capitalism, Marxism, or even Gora-ism. Not that there
weren't great people that did great things. However, the world is
a living, breathing, dynamic, thing, and at every moment poses
unique challenges. If your response is driven by any kind of
ideology, it is bound to be inadequate. Gautam Buddha never had
to contend with the Internet, though I would have liked to see
his response to the ubiquitous availability of pr0n.

Regards,
Gora