in infinite wisdom Manish spoke thus  On 02/12/2008 07:28 PM:
> On Feb 12, 2008 6:41 PM, Raj Shekhar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> What was the question again?

My mail was a forward from another mailing list - the question was

"
I was looking at version control mechanisms to handle /etc
on the machines here. If people on TAG have used such systems I would
appreciate feedback.

CVS: seems to be the classic solution. Cons: People say it is old and
unmaintained code which is "end-of-life".

Mercurial: One of the modern VC systems considered "notable" on
Rick Moen's knowledge base. One difficulty with "hg" is that it
insists on the "distributed" model. Putting the version control
history outside /etc (a la CVS) would require convoluted mounts.

GIT: Another modern VC system (though not "notable" as per Rick's
kb). It is rather similar to Mercurial in many ways. One difference
is that one can use the environment variable GIT_DIR to point to a
different directory for storing VC history.

Some reasons to keep VC history outside /etc:
        1. This way one can easily check for "cruft" without
           adding an explicit "ignore" for ".hg" or ".git" ...
        2. Uses less space in "/etc".
        3. Can keep the history on an "archival" disk safe from
           potential corruption.

Any thoughts/suggestions by people on TAG are welcome as usual!

Regards,

Kapil.
--
"