Our venerable Government has appointed agencies for the specific purpose
of promoting Free and Open Source Software in India.  Here are some
lessons I learnt from my experiences in dealing with one of them.

To promote FOSS:

- Once you get an application to rent a server for one of the (if not
THE) most visible FOSS projects in India, sit on it for 8 months
without any activity.

- Agree eventually to the server and the cost, but then raise a whole
set of questions about the cost with no understanding of differences in
hardware, services, etc.  Once you have received a satisfactory
rationale, continue to ask the same set of questions every year so that
the users of the server can stop wasting time coding and spend it
productively dealing with your red tape instead.

- Cut down rental periods from 1 year to 6 months (so the rental rate
goes higher).  Then claim that it would need a committee to approve the
6-month fee, so break each 6 months down into 2 payments of 4 months
and 2 months each.  Never have the committee sit, so this weird payment
scheme continues for the duration of the project.

- Delay payments by up to 3 months.  Never, ever, make a payment on
time.  Never, ever make a payment until you receive numerous reminders.

- After the delay, once the payment is ready, send the cheque to the
wrong person at the wrong address in the wrong city; don't bother to
take any pro-active steps to rectify the error when you're informed of
it.

- Accuse the server administrator (in public channels) of being a thief.
Rant at him for not putting up any content on the server (which wasn't
his responsibility in the first place).

- For the last payment, claim that your mandate is coming to an end so
you would only be able to pay for 3 months instead of six.  When your
mandate does get extended, don't bother to inform the users, so they
are left with no clue regarding your new ability to continue supporting
them.

- If a problem (minor or major) occurs with the server, don't waste time
informing the server users and administrators about it.  Instead write
insightful and constructive blog entries about how the server sucks and
why you shouldn't be paying for it.

So my tip to GoI and NRC FOSS: thank you for your effort and time, but I
suggest you leave FOSS promotion to the experts (us, the community) and
get back to playing those futile games which nevertheless bring you so
much pleasure.

I personally never wish to deal with the NRC FOSS or the GoI again if I
need anything FOSS-related.  I'd suggest no one else do so either,
unless they like spending their time dealing with bureaucracy, sloth,
active malice and incompetence.

In the meantime, unless some miracle happens, indlinux.net and
newsrack.in will both become inactive at the end of this month.

Documentary evidence of each of the points noted available at request.

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/