On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Manish wrote:
[snip]
>  Yes, I was aware that it had Windows pre-installed.  The
>  advertisements did not say that I will have to agree to a separate
>  (restrictive) license nor did it list the terms of the license
>  anywhere I could read before I made the purchase (I will have to
>  double check this.)  I had access to the terms (unacceptable) only
>  after I had purchased the notebook. :)

Just checked.  Lenovo website does not display the Windows EULA
anywhere and nor does it warn users that they would be required to
agree to a license with terms that are not known to them at the time
of making a purchase.  And anyways anything they say on their website
is suspect since I also found this gem at their website:

  "Lenovo assumes no responsibility regarding the accuracy of the
  information that is provided by Lenovo and use of such information
  is at the recipient's own risk."

<rant>

Oh Lenovo, why do you not take responsibility for the accuracy of a
website that is totally under your control and used to conduct your
business for profit.  You only want to have customers pay you in good
faith and then you betray them by not agreeing to terms of a license
that _you_ bundle.  Simply amazing.  I have had better experience with
people and projects that have simply given away their fruits of labor
both in terms of speed and quality of response and they did take
"accuracy" of their work and statements personally.

In another context:

I just had someone visit me claiming to "verify" details that I
provided in a credit card application in my own handwriting.  Earlier
also the company had a data entry operator call and verify the same
details.  This dude is not even carrying any ID and when I refused to
share any details then he tells me, "No problem sir it is anyways not
required, just formality".  Their agent also had similar attitude when
I was filling out the forms.  Why are we doing this?  Why are we
wasting so much energy, money and time on appearance's on sham?

It's the same everywhere I see: passport offices, employment
contracts, rental agreements, income-tax office, everywhere.
Disrespect and casual attitude towards everything.  And you are
supposed to take it without a whimper.  If you question these
practices and attitudes and make a noise then they look at you as if
they have never seen a Vogon before.

Isn't all of this somehow related?  Disrespect, thoughtlessness and
crass attitude towards customers, employees, citizens, procedure,
propriety, patients, students, ...

</rant>

Promise I won't repeat such off-topic stuff.  I just had to get it out
of the system.  May be I should start a blog to vent.

And I think I should not be seeking just a refund from Lenovo but also
a personal and printed apology.

-- Manish