"Mehul Ved" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

> On Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 07:48:13AM -0400, aashish khanna wrote:
>> also mehul how to reapair MBR???is it by using windows install  CD?
>
> Yes, from the windows CD go to the repair mode. Just search for fixboot
> and fixmbr you should get a lot of results.
> But, before that it would do a lot of good to post the output of
> sudo fdisk -l
> from your distro.

Restoring the MBR will wipe out grub.  You can install the package
named "mbr" and say "man mbr" to find how to install the default mbr.

I think you are getting grub to handover the boot process to windows
OS, but windows is not able to boot up for some reason. I suggest yo
go through the "mapping" part of grub documentation. Mapping is where
you fool the microsoft's OSes into thinking that they are booting from
the first partition of the first disk.

First, here are some answers to some questions posted in this thread.

Q. "How to install grub".

A. Installing grub where?
   You can install grub on your system, but it also needs to be
   written to the disk if the grub (or its new version) to be used.

   The correct method, on Debian (and hence, probably, Ubuntu too) is
   to run the command "sudo grub-install /dev/hda" - and of course,
   you have will have to use the correct specifier instead of hda
   depending on the hard disk you have - eg. sda for the first sata
   disk. Or hdb if you are using the disk on "primary slave".

Q. I did "grub-install" what next?

A. Run "update-grub" to create the proper entries in menu.lst.

And some questions not exactly asked here. ;)

Q. I/the system messed up the "grub-install". Do I have to re-install
   the whole OS?

A. No. You can hit "e" when the grub boot menu comes up, and edit the
   entries by hand. Hitting tab will give you possible options. "help"
   will give you a list of available commands. Once you boot up, you
   can edit menu.lst by hand, or recreate it. After using "e" to edit,
   you can use "b" to boot.

Q, what id this hd(0,0) notation?

A. The numbering system starts from 0, not 1.

Q. Do I have to be at the mercy of a [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list for help?
(g.d.r)

A. No. You need to RTFM. TFM is usually found in
   /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/ directory. if that directory does not
   exist, on a Debian based distro, you can always
   "sudo apt-get install grub-doc".

   If you cannot boot the system at all, and still can read this post,
   you certainly access the net, and please google for grub
   documentation.

--
 Mahesh T. Pai <<>> http://paivakil.blogspot.com/