On Wednesday 02 Jul 2008, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am forwarding a mail I sent to timezone mailing list sometime back.
> I should have first discussed this on the ilugd list, but it is still
> not late.
>
> I don't mean to introduce a geographical divide, but just want the
> timezone package to be "politically correct".
>
> Your views are welcome, and could probably post directly to the
> timezone mailing list.

The longitude that represents IST is 82.5 degrees east (Mirzapur, UP).
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Standard_Time>

>From your post it is not clear whether Kolkata should be changed to
Mirazapur.  Is this what you are getting at?  Logically, the city
closest to the ref. longitude should be in the time zone data.

I don't how Kolkata (Calcutta) got entry in the time zone data.

-- Arun Khan