On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Infiltrating the world of Windows and Mac with FOSS, getting them hooked
>> on free software and eventually tempting them to try the OS itself,
>> might just be a more effective way to get the masses in. (notice how
>> the last line looks like something billg@ might have said about his OS
>> several years back ;) )
>>
>> - Sandip
>>

> I admire that piece and completely agree with you. Instead of asking new
> users to relocate, lets put more and more FOSS things on windows. Once they
> are ok with Firefox, then OO.o...and much more, it won't be much of an issue
> pulling off Windows base and replace with complete GNU/Linux system. This is
> a better approach and something which could work for masses who are not much
> aware about the vision part of Free Software movement.
>
> Regards
> Swapnil

Well, I have a bit of disagreement there. This thread is going into
all directions, so lets make it clear that "FOSS" is not equal to
"GNU/Linux". They are two separate entities/phenomenons/philosophies.

If the aim is to promote FOSS then there is no flaw in the above
mentioned approach and FOSS will prosper beyond limits.. BUT if the
ultimate aim is to promote GNU/Linux, as Swapnil says, it might
snowball into something completely opposite because this means that
energies be diverted towards developing apps for Windows base, then
where do we get time/energy for development for linux? As it is, we
can see lots of apps not getting enough developers. And when I say
lots, I actually mean loooooots. So, in the end we might see the
development dying on linux side.

And moreover, from the users' perspective as well, it would not be
very simple to pull off the windows base and replace with linux.
Because the user interaction with FOSS apps on windows will still be
governed by windows rules, another thing is that if they already have
all the apps on windows, why would they feel the need to switch over
to a new environment and learn it all over again?

I might be completely wrong here. But this is what I feel right now
and wanted to discuss about whether there is something that I'm
missing here?

-Shantz

          • ... gajendra khanna
            • ... Jeba Singh Emmanuel | जेबा सिंह ईम्म ेनुयेल
          • ... shantanu goel
  • ... Gora Mohanty
    • ... narendra sisodiya
      • ... Gora Mohanty