On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM, gajendra khanna
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> > Ravikant happened to be attending the event, and I believe it's his
> > choice what OS he wants to use.
> It is his choice to use the OS he wants. Whats more important is that
> he was using Firefox on Winblows which is very much a FOSS product.
> (for running the launched site). Free software is available across
> platforms and its use should be promoted on all of them.

An additional benefit is also that of a new user seeing Windows at such an
event and then seeing free and open software running on it. A new person who
has been using Windows for long would be comfortable and now open to the
ideas being presented about freedom in software. We are not asking him to
make a complete break but try out such FOSS software running on windows and
see its strengths. You must remember that most people have no idea about the
philosophies behind not using windows. So when we genuinely explain that
windows is restrictive and there are better options available they begin to
understand. They would try out some free software on windows, be happy with
it and then start enquiring about linux itself. Using Windows IMHO is not
hypocrisy. It also clears the notion that we are MS or Windows bashers.

 As for my first comment, I apologise if I was too abrupt. It was just a gut
feeling which I expressed. I didn't really research any references nor do I
intend to do so for the sake of argument.

And yes, suggestions that Linux be preferred would be fine. However I do
believe a lot of work of porting FOSS software to Windows and Mac platforms
is an important effort of volunteers and a major part of FOSS efforts and
need to be given visibility too. What better way than to show them running
on windows? :-) .

Peace.

Jeba Singh Emmanuel
  • ... Linux Lingam
    • ... Praveen A
    • ... Jeba Singh Emmanuel | जेबा सिंह ईम्म ेनुयेल
      • ... Praveen A
        • ... shantanu goel
          • ... Raj Mathur
            • ... gajendra khanna
              • ... Jeba Singh Emmanuel | जेबा सिंह ईम्म ेनुयेल
            • ... shantanu goel
    • ... Gora Mohanty
      • ... narendra sisodiya
        • ... Gora Mohanty