On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Tanveer Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM, gajendra khanna
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should allow you to do the
>> reconfiguration.
>>
>> If the xorg.conf has the display you want (maybe not the default one) you can
>> change it with the kde utility krandrtray.
> I did that, its asks me for keyboard and all, and then finishes, and
> writes xorg.conf without any display info at all.
> I think I am going to mandriva. Will install that today and see.
> With 256MB of ram OpenSuse is just dying.

Don't blame Ubuntu for problems with a specific package. The latest
versions of xorg (supposedly) ship with "smart" detection of video
hardware and you (usually) don't have to configure anything to get it
to work. No matter what distribution you switch to, you will get the
same behaviour.

If it doesn't work for you then try googling for a solution. Here's a
lead to get you started -
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/dpkg-reconfigure-xserver-xorg-alternative-on-lenny-661431/

-- Anupam