On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Praveen A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Sudhanwa Jogalekar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> It is really unfortunate to know that people of CEO level are not able
>> to understand the Trade Marks and Licenses.
>
> I believe what you meant was Trademarks and Copyrights. You can have
> Copyright License (GPL is one such) and Trademark License (what RHEL
> has).

No. I meant Trademarks and Licenses.

> Copyrights are used to protect software and a copyright license is
> considered Free (as in Freedom) if it allows everyone who receive a
> copy of the program to use, study, change and distribute (modified or
> unmodified) copies of that program. All the components of RHEL is Free
> Software.
>
> But the collection distributed by Red Hat in CDs or DVDs also have a
> license. You can think of it as a collection of poems in the public
> domain. Even though individual poems remain in the public domain the
> collector has a copyright over the collection.
>
> Now trademarks are something different. It is used to protect brands.
> It ensures that you get what you think you are getting.
>
> RHEL name and logos are trademarked by Red Hat. That means if you see
> RHEL with Red Hat logos you can be sure it is from Red Hat. In the
> same way Mozilla Corporation own trademarks to Firefox. You need a
> license from the owner of the trademark (in the same way as copyright)
> to use that brand. CentOS removed the name and logos from RHEL and is
> distributing the same collection. In the same way Debian changed
> Firefox name to Iceweasel.
>
> Trademarks does not restricts the Freedoms mentioned in the Free
> Software definition.

That is some good explanation useful to the OP.

> Btw please avoid using the term ipr.
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html
>
> It implies either you are confused or you want to confuse everyone.

That is another good pointer to understand things. But people may or
may not agree to all the views mentioned there.

"Intellectual Property" is a generic term and covers many things.
I am neither confused nor trying to confuse others about IPRs.
IPR is a complex subject and I will not get into it on the list.

Regards,
-Sudhanwa

www.sudhanwa.com