On Wednesday 08 October 2008 17:27:49 Nalin Savara wrote:
> Also, whats the difference between "distro version" versus "pristine
> version" ???

distro version - packaged version of a software distributed as part of a
                 distro.

pristine sources - the sources offered directly by the software
                   developer, unmodified to suit a distro. Generally
                   distributed in tar.{gz,bz2} format.

> Basically I want to do some things:
> (0) Alert me to messages that include my name OR specific words of
> interest to me

Not the work of a mailing list software. Rather an end user feature.

> (1) prevent messages from specific (irritating to me) threads from
> being sent to me;

Same.

> (2) and I also want to block messages from specific users and also
> from threads initiated by specific users

Same.

> (3) I want to make list more mobile friendly--- automatically clean
> out top-posts;
> (4) automatically transcribe SMS lingo OR maybe automatically

While seemingly useful, it is better done through extensions (if the
mailing list software allows one) rather than a fork.

My personal belief is that mailing list software should do only one
thing well - distribute mail. Some anti-abuse features are necessary,
but policy implementations like (3) and (4) are better not attempted by
technology but rather through social engineering. However an argument
can be made that some list owners might want such control over their
mailing lists.

- Sandip