dear karanbir,

always refreshing and stimulating to hear from the bleeding-edge from you.
[snip]

> do you want linux preinstalled for hardware compatibility check or to not
> pay the MS tax ? in case its the latter, you might be able to get a refund,
> or just not pay for it upfront. Vendor dependant.

am through with the 'anti-ms' emotion long ago. don't care about them
anymore. am only interested in 100% linux hardware compatibility on my
gear. thus, looking for a high-end laptop that comes pre-installed
with gnu/linux with all the bits at 100% compatibility. i am currently
not aware of the level of compatibility with 3d graphics-card
(ati/nvidia) and sound-cards or usb-based sound-devices.

>> to get a laptop that handles extreme crunching of pixels, stores
>> bucketloads of them, speed-demons through multi-track live recording,
>> and all this using, say, ubuntustudio, would be thrilling.
>
> humm... perhaps. But most people find it more convenient to have a 'parked'
> crunching setup, and only use the laptop as a front end. Since traditional
> hardware formats are much more 'upgrade' friendly and always a couple of
> steps ahead of the laptop curve ( eg, 4 GB ram in a desktop machine, with 4
> cores is now 'baseline', where as baseline laptops are nowhere near ), it
> means longer life and higher return on investment with that.

will obviously get a monster custom-assembled desktop/workstation for
myself. that has always been my policy since circa 1985. by choosing
not to compromise on desktops, whether macs or more recently
assembled-pcs, i always tend to get much-better returns on my hardware
and longer product-life too.

>> one of the most common problems with most commodity hardware is with
>> digitizing audio. the internal circuitry may generate 'noise' as
>> people don't really care about shielding and isolation.
>> getting 3d graphics cards to natively work a 100% with
>> full-functionality under linux is another unix|pipe dream.
>
> I might have agreed with you on this a few years back, but given that most
> large scale studios are now either completely linux based, or moving to be
> linux based - I'd think atleast someone has solved these issues.

okay, now this statement has tugged my goat with glee! have been
experimenting with linux-based audio for almost five years. do agree
it has become studio-ready since perhaps a year and a half. the
adoption of linux-based studios, in my experience, in india is a nice,
big, zero. most studios and setups are on pcs, and a cult-tribe on
macs. kishore bhargava did mention once, that one of his friends runs
a complete setup on linux, but on pressing on never got further
details from here.
you paint the opposite picture. i would quite appreciate to know more
about such studios. would you have urls, pointers, or even
contact-info. would love to get in touch with them. am also quite
convinced linux will soon capture this vertical market completely,
unlike with foss-based video and animation, and with professional
graphic-design.
yes, i know linux has been ruling the roost in hollywood animation and
the film-industry since several years, but with proprietary packaged
software, and especially with custom-code that never sees the light of
day outside the studios. hence the key operative word 'foss-based'
above.

regards
niyam
> --