Pratul Kalia wrote:
Ah yes, in my case, smartctl did show failed when I ran the test.
That's the reason I got the HDD replaced.

Some manufacturers ( and in some case Vendors for all manufacturers ) insist you run their own diagnostic tools and give them the report from their own tool before they will RMA the drive, and this software mostly only works for windows machines :/ Samsung are infamous for this. Seagate is a hit and miss situation. They dont ( seagate ) need this themselves, but some of their vendors do and the first 1 year of their 5 year warranty is executed by the vendor, not Seagate!

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc