Karanbir Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A bit more info on the hardware you have, the setup you run, smartctl
> status etc would go a long way in even starting to look at this issue.

It is a ST3500320AS with Firmware revision SD15

I have tested it well enough. But still I am not sure.

1. Those errors were on AMD RS 690G
AHCI (with RAID), but I was not using RAID.
and changing SATA type to IDE would not help

Sometimes it would be missing because of the errors.
It has been very smart always (smartctl).
Recovered most data.
Three JFS partitions (logical) got badly corrupted (recovery would be
the nitpicking type)

Interchanging the SATA ports still meant a problem with the drive

hdparm info
{Enabled        Supported:
           *    SMART feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    Power Management feature set
           *    Write cache
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    WRITE_BUFFER command
           *    READ_BUFFER command
           *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
                SET_MAX security extension
           *    48-bit Address feature set
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
           *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
           *    SMART error logging
           *    SMART self-test
           *    General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    64-bit World wide name
           *    Write-Read-Verify feature set
           *    WRITE_UNCORRECTABLE_EXT command
           *    {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
           *    SATA-I signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
           *    SATA-II signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
           *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
           *    Phy event counters
           *    Software settings preservation
           *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
           *    SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
           *    SCT Error Recovery Control (AC3)
           *    SCT Features Control (AC4)
           *    SCT Data Tables (AC5)
                unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)}

2. Then I put it on another AMD 64-bit nvidia chipset system

The Seagate utility showed: SMART OK, but DST error 07 (always)
Then the PC would take quite a lot of time to even complete POST with
the drive in.
So I used the wipe utilities from system rescue CD and hdparm.
After that I made a few partitions and checked it again with the
seagate utility: this time it cleared the long test
(I believe this is due to the drive warming up and self-test being
enabled). Will check it after it cools down :)

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani