On Friday 19 Dec 2008, Dinesh Shah (દિનેશ શાહ/दिनेश शाह) wrote:

> This on-board gigabit ether net gives strange problem. It works most
> of the times but at times it does not work.

Realtek? I have saved one PCI Realtek NIC - the driver loads, no
hardware complaints, link LED says everything is hunky dory but no
traffic goes thru!

> [  205.229306] r8169: eth0: link up
> [  677.674793] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> [  678.489221] r8169: eth0: link up
>

> lspci: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev ff)

Is r8169 the correct driver for the 8111 chip?  Pls. check Realtek's
site and confirm.  I have a mobo with 8101E chip and all Linux distros
install the r8169 module.   It worked sort of crippled (huge packet
losses) until I visited Realtek's site and downloaded the proper driver
for the 8101E, compiled the module and the NIC now works fine.

HTH,
--Arun Khan