Sudhanwa Jogalekar wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Raj Mathur <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to completely replace the active directory and primary
>> and secondary domain controllers in a Winduhs network with one or more
>> Linux boxes?
>>
>> Excuse my vast ignorance of Winduhs, but do you need both a PDC and AD,
>> or are they mutually exclusive?  How about encryption and stuff?  And
>> integration with OpenLDAP?
>>
>> Pointers, references welcome.
>>

> If you are using samba only for windows domain authentication(and/or
> file/print sharing), then it will be fine. If you want further
> services like some access controls (eg. disabling client PCs USB
> ports), samba will not be useful.
If you use samba as PDC , kerberos isn't involved for authentication
it's samba that does the authentication stuff. In case of AD , AD uses
kerberos.

At this moment only samba4 (which I have configured) provides everything
that is a samba server , a kerberos server (hacked hemidal) and it's own
LDAP server (though other LDAP servers can be used , requires lot of
hacking at the moment).

Regards

> Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.(and suggest a solution)
>
> Regards,
> -Sudhanwa

- --
RHCE/RHCSS Certificate number: 804006843818597
Type: pub
bits/keyID: 1024D/483B234C
Date: 2007/06/29
Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
User ID: Deependra Singh Shekhawat (Fedora Project)
<jeevanul...@gmail.com> <dee...@fedoraproject.org>
Key fingerprint: ED45 62EA A4D7 53FB 44C7  774A D55B F3F0 483B 234C