I dislike the way computer modern fonts in GNU manuals and other texinfo
generated manuals print from generated PDFs. Reading from various
mailing lists, this is primarily because of the thin outlines of the
computer modern fonts.

If i need to replace CM fonts with say bitstream charter or Adobe times,
how do I proceed when generating PDFs from texinfo?

My guess is to convert from texi to tex somehow, put some font selection
stuff in the source and then pdflatex. I also read that the mathmptx
package replaces some of the fonts with more printable ones.

Can some latex expert here guide me through this please?

Much thanks in advance,
  Sandip