On Sunday 29 Mar 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> gurteshwar singh wrote:
> > Hi, I am trying to configure wireless on a Dell Inspiron 15
> > notebook. I am using CentOS 5.2. The output of lspci tells me that
> > my wireless card is 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom
> > Corporation BCM4310 USB Controller (rev 01). The only way to get
> > this up seems using ndiswrapper. Is there any other way?
>
> the bcm43xx driver is included in the centos-5 kernels. However, its
> flaky at best. The b43 driver might make it into 5.4, with the entire
> wifi stuff getting a rebase then. In the mean time, ndiswrapper is
> the only way to have it work properly.
>
> even when the bcm43xx does work, its rarely ever at speeds > 11M.

You can download a binary-only driver with a source wrapper from the
broadcom web site.  The driver is called wl, and seems to work after
compiling and installing with only minor problems for me so far.  OTOH,
I haven't done anything with it yet apart from a few SSH and web
sessions, not even any major file transfers on WiFi.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/