Smruti wrote:
nagios is one of the best monitoring tool.
Heard the same too. But I want to know how does it compared to HP OpenView,
BMC PM(formerly Patrol), Big Brother and Zabbix.

Nagios used to be a good way to do things, a few years back it was also recommended quite widely. But to be honest unless you have lots and lots of time and dont mind getting into messy issues and handling all sorts of corner issues that just keep creeping into the systems including 'internet weather', your best options these days are to look at projects like opennms and zenoss. Zabbix has some traction as well, but its just not anywhere near opennms while addressing the same sort of mindset / admin crowd.

Also, two very solid tools to consider these days : http://flapjack-project.com/ and the long time large-installation favourite http://ganglia.info/

Hope this helps, and I also hope this saves you many hours of slaving with nagios in frustration :)

- KB

Note: I have setup and run quite a few monitoring setups, including a nagios one that handles 18 different DC's and 400 odd devices. So its not that I dont 'get' nagios. I do. Which is why I think its a waste of space for new installs these days.