On Thursday 07 May 2009, Vinay Yadav wrote:
> [snip]
> better you should download rpm package of GCC (if you are using red
> hat base linux)
> and run
> rpm -i gcc.rpm
>
> And if you are using Debian package download dpkg package of gcc
> and run dpkg -install  gcc.dpkg

Please don't give incorrect advice.  Just about every distribution
nowadays has ways to download and install the appropriate packages from
repositories in one step, and the OP should be using those
(apt-get/aptitude, yum, etc.) instead of downloading packages manually.
Even the dpkg command above is incorrect, and deb packages have
extension (surprise!) .deb and not .dpkg.

> For novice I suggest to use Ubuntu (above 8)
> and for installing any package just write
> apt-get install <package-name>

That sounds slightly better (except for the Ubuntu part, but that's just
my opinion :)

Regards,

-- Raju
--