On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Arun Khan wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Ramkumar R wrote:
> > gparted will do this fine. Next time, consider implementing LVM to
> > resize partitions on-the-fly.
>
> Do you recommend putting / on a LVM device?

I had that for a couple of years and it was more trouble than it was
worth.  Primary issue is with the default initrd generated when a new
kernel is installed -- had to do all sorts of obscure initrd
configurations to make sure it booted up fine on an LVM.

IMO it's probably better to move out whatever you can from /
(/var, /usr, /tmp, etc.) into separate partitions so that any of those
that need more space can be individually resized, and keep / static.
You could do that right now too without touching the / partition:
assuming you need more space in /var, just make a /var partition on one
of your disks (or a new one), boot into single-user, copy the
existing /var over, delete its contents and mount the new partition
onto /var.  Don't forget to update /etc/fstab!

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/