> Do you recommend putting / on a LVM device?

No. The LVM partitions I maintain are:
/home
/home/music
/home/video
/usr
/usr/local
/tmp
/var
/root
(swap)

No, /boot should not be on LVM.

> and that is the catch.  /boot in most installations is not on a separate
> partition.

I personally hate auto-partitioning things (well, for that matter even
auto-installing things). Don't bother with them... even if you want
to, I'm sure most of these CD installers come with manual partitioning
options.

> I had that for a couple of years and it was more trouble than it was
> worth.  Primary issue is with the default initrd generated when a new
> kernel is installed -- had to do all sorts of obscure initrd
> configurations to make sure it booted up fine on an LVM.

I've been using LVM for over four years now and it works perfectly. I
can add and remove physical hard drives whenever I want without
worrying about repartitioning.

HTH.