On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:40:44 +0530
Narender <narender.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to suggest an open source alternative to MS project 2003
> to our Engineering team.
>
> while googling i found two such open source project which are
> equivalent to MS Project.
[...]

There are a variety of possibilities in the open-source world,
but you need to specify your requirements in a little more
detail, e.g.:
o Web-based, or desktop?
o What are the features that you need: We wanted all of
  * Project planning
  * Resource planning
  * Issue tracking
  * Time sheets
  * Project management
Wikipedia has a good link to get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_project_management_software
>From trying out many of these, the top web-based contenders for
an all-in-one application seem to be Dot Project, and egroupware,
though both have clunky interfaces. Have yet to try out Project.Net.
On the desktop side, kplato (KDE) and planner (GNOME) handle project
planning decently, and taskjuggler has some interesting approaches.
Another possibility is Storm, a Drupal plugin, but that is still
at an early stage of development.

We are currently leaning towards building a mash-up, using APIs from
best-of-breed open-source/proprietary applications in each of the
above areas. Anyone interested in helping out is welcome to contact
me off list.

Regards,
Gora