On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 17:59:41 +0530
Sudev Barar <sba...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Recording in any application is very low. I am able to hear sound
> better but vis what I saw on same machine under winduhs it is very
> low/poor??
[...]

When you open Volume Control (right-click on volume applet in
panel. If you don't have one, you can add it through right-clicking
on panel, choosing Add to Panel..., and selecting the Volume
Control applet), what device(s) do you see in the drop-down at
the top? One of the devices should be Alsa. Try choosing that,
and it might give you access to more control switches. For
example, with Alsa, I get a Microphone Boost which helps a lot
in increasing the microphone sensitivity.

Regards,
Gora