I am trying to pick up some pointers on how to set up audio and
recording (microphone) settings. I want to use Skype and it works but
the audio quality and volume of output is very low. And more
irritatingly the microphone pick up is very low. Even wihen I use
headset and external mic there is very low clarity.

I have tried various settings under volume control and alsa mixer.
Pointers would be welcome.

Similar system  under M$ system works perfectly for using skype with
need for headphone and external speaker.

I am using ThinkpadR61 with Ubuntu 9.04

Sudev Barar

PS: Replying using bottom post/in-line post makes email conversations
whole lot easier for meaningful dialogue. Snip out what is not
relevant. Adopt this and spread the message.