On Sun 23 Aug 2009 01:01:40 AM IST , Amit Sharma
<amitsharm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vivek Kapoor wrote:
>> What's the purpose of Antivirus and "Antispyware" on your
>> RHEL/Fedora/CentOS box? To protect your Linux box?
>>
> My company is on 99.9% Wind--s. They have one or 2 Linux box and wants
> me to put Antivirus and Antispyware on it. They know Linux does not need
> them but still want these softwares to be there.

There are a few basic points you need to follow if you need to make your
Linux box secure. The AV wouldn't help much as it'll be scanning for W32
viruses only afaik. The below would make much more sense if the machine
is internet facing.

- Keep your system updated. This would also include the applications
hosted on it. For e.g. I had an experience with an application which had
a security flaw. The flaw was fixed by the developers but the
application was not updated. An attacker gained an entry to the system
and uploaded executables into /tmp directory and tried executing them.
Good thing was, the /tmp directory had noexec bit set, so those
executables never executed and the system was safe. Especially true for
PHP applications.

- Harden the system. Make the files such as telnet, netcat
non-executable by unprivileged users. Mount /tmp and /home with noexec
parameter. Search google on how to harden a system.

- The most common attacks are rootkit attacks. Install applications such
as rkhunter and/or chkrootkit and mail the reports to yourself. This
will be your version of "Antispyware".

- Install Logwatch and mail reports to yourself. Review them regularly.

- Put a firewall. Expose only the services that need to be shared such
as web server. By default, these days Linux systems don't open any
service by default, so you should be fairly secure with the default setup.

The rest of the folks in your org who "know" that your box doesn't need
AV etc. but still want it installed are commonplace. They've been burnt
in the past with their exposure to Windoze, and they assume that the
entire world works the M$ way. For them Linux would be a blackbox, which
scares them, so they would try to apply their default practices on it to
control it. You cannot do anything about them - they prefer to keep
their eyes closed.

--
Best Regards
Vivek Kapoor