On Thu 10 Sep 2009 02:08:05 AM IST , Mehul Ved <mehul.n....@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Anupam Jain <ajn...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> indicating that "Compositing was too slow and has been disabled". I am
>> running an underpowered Dell Vostro 1400 laptop with an intel chipset.
>
> This could be the problem. My machine is running on Nvidia graphics
> card and seems to have no such trouble. Maybe someone with Intel
> graphics should try to replicate the problem.

I have always faced problems with composting on Ubuntu 7.04 onwards on
Intel chipsets - Ubuntu has been experimenting with their intel drivers
a lot. For desktops I always get Nvidia cards. Karmic may have a better
intel implementation - http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha5

Long time since I used my underpowered intel based laptop, but changing
the drivers being used provided a little help. Instead of intel, try
vesa, or i810 if it still exists. I think there's an experimental intel
driver also available in jaunty (too lazy to check myself).

Second, not aware about KDE world - in Gnome you have composting built
in. So instead of using Compiz-Fusion which Ubuntu does by default in
newer releases, I use Metacity window manager composting. This gives the
shadow effect, some zoom effects and overall good look-and-feel, doesn't
hang-up and is light on resources. Maybe something similar is there  in KDE.

--
Best Regards
Vivek Kapoor