On Thursday 17 Sep 2009, Suraj Swami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to load drivers for my webcam microdia.
>
> In the process I have come across this problem missing /dev/video/
>
> error shown is as follows:
>
> comment: first try, more to come ;-)
> v4l2: unable to open '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
> v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Bad file descriptor
> v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.
>
> I have the following kernel installed 2.6.28-14-generic
> And I am using ubuntu 9.01 Jaunty.
>
> I have checked with ls /dev/
> there is no /video0 or /video there.

/dev/video0 gets created when the driver for your webcam or other video
capture device is loaded.

0. Take a look at the output of dmesg.  Check if the video capture
device shows up in the hardware detection.
1. Check for device driver for your video capture device.
2. If supported then load the corresponding kernel module (it should do
it automatically).

HTH
--
Arun Khan