>> I am trying to load drivers for my webcam microdia.
>>
>> In the process I have come across this problem missing /dev/video/
>>
>> error shown is as follows:
>>
>> comment: first try, more to come ;-)
>> v4l2: unable to open '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
>> v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Bad file descriptor
>> v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.
>>
>> I have the following kernel installed 2.6.28-14-generic
>> And I am using ubuntu 9.01 Jaunty.
>>
>> I have checked with ls /dev/
>> there is no /video0 or /video there.
>
> /dev/video0 gets created when the driver for your webcam or other video
> capture device is loaded.

It is possible to create devices like /dev/video0, using /sbin/MAKEDEV
, to interact with drivers in the kernel.

It is likely that you are using a USB webcam.  Check if USB is
supported (it probably is).  Check if the chipset of the webcam is
supported and perform an /sbin/insmod of the relevant module as
suggested below.  You can perform a modprobe to check if any new
modules are required and lsmod to check which are currently loaded.

> 0. Take a look at the output of dmesg.  Check if the video capture
> device shows up in the hardware detection.
> 1. Check for device driver for your video capture device.
> 2. If supported then load the corresponding kernel module (it should do
> it automatically).

Rahul