On 29-Sep-2009, at 12:42 PM, Amit Sharma wrote:

Hi,

I would like to share the following backup script being used by me. Works Fine. Just in case some one needs it.

My /home is 40 GB abd tar.gz file comes to 20 GB and takes about 1 hour 10 mins to create.

My question is - Is there faster way to take the backup?

I use mirrordir. Once the first run is complete , it only takes a few seconds to update the changes.

Regards,

Sameep

www.TuxDVDs.com
The Best Online Linux Distro Store

Latest Distros

Ubuntu Ultimate 2.3 Gamer Edition
Linux Mint 7 Xfce
Zenwalk Linux 6.2

#!/bin/bash
#Daily Backup Script for backing up /home
echo Time backup started = $(date +%T)
before="$(date +%s)"
datestamp="$(date)"
tempdate="$(date +%F)"
tar -zcvf /backupfilename.tar.gz /home 2> /root/logs/DAILYBACKUP_ $tempdate.log

# Calculates and outputs total time take
after="$(date +%s)"
elapsed="$(expr $after - $before)"
hours=$(($elapsed / 3600))
elapsed=$(($elapsed - $hours * 3600))
minutes=$(($elapsed / 60))
seconds=$(($elapsed - $minutes * 60))
echo "Home Folder Backup -" $datestamp " - Time Taken $hours hours $minutes minutes $seconds seconds" >> /root/logs/dailybackup.log echo "- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -" >> /root/logs/ dailybackup.log

Connect more, do more and share more with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn more. http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/