Nishant Sharma <codemarau...@...> writes:

[from the news]
> Aiming at preventing the misuse of Wi-Fi connectivity by unauthorised users,
the department of
> telecommunications has directed all telecom service providers to implement an
online centralised
> authentication procedure for Internet subscribers.

Sounds like a reaction to one of the Bombay attacks where an American had an
open wifi that was used to send a terrorist message by a bomb conspirator.

That the American fled the country rather than waiting for the courts to declare
his innocence says plenty about the Indian court system.

(That he managed to flee the country despite being watched says a lot about the
state of India generally too, of course).

>From the report, it seems the open wifi problem is still going to be around (it
isn't dealt with by the measure). "Centralized authentication" (?) isn't solving
authentication or location-of-subscriber better than current authentication
methods either. They must mean centralized logging rather than authentication,
that's my guess.

Anyway, the "centralized authentication" procedure (or whatever it really ends
up being), like many India systems, well need proper accountability built in to
the process to prevent its abuse.

Eg:

"Mohammed! You are the registered owner of this connection from where a claim of
responsibility for the recent bomb blast originated!"

"But I haven't claimed that and I am the only person using the connection, and
my system is heavily secured! There's no way it can be originating from me!"

"OK, then, just pay me 25 lakh and we'll forget about it. Else I'll grind you
and your beard through the courts and everyone will think you're a terrorist."

PJ

(hmmm. spooky correlations, with these captchas sometimes. This one was
"radicalism")