PJ wrote:
Alok G. Singh <alephn...@...> writes:

Oui, à la fois, monsieur :)

Seeing two responses already, I'm delighted to see that linux sysadmin support
is getting popular.

Do write in occasionally to let the list now about any interesting problems
faced etc (if any). I expect it to be a kickass migration.

Sharing My Story . . . .

Migrated about 200 systems from Windows to Linux last year, everything was smooth expect the local printers just refused to work with diskless machines. I used Kiwi-LTSP on the server. Tried for few days to make it work, then just left it as is :(

On the bright side, last week I called that office to check if they are still on Linux or slowly (machine by machine, by giving one reason/ excuse at a time) reverted to Windows). Glad to hear from them:

  1. The mandatory one in six months or so OS formatting is a thing of
     past.
  2. No issues at all except some trivial issues in using Linux Desktop
     (openSUSE 11.0)
  3. There are still only 8-10 windows machines in 200 desktops.
  4. People (Staff) actually feel proud to tell their family and friend
     that they use Linux in their office and it is as easy as Windows
     without any fear of any virus etc.

regards,
amit