See my answer below quoted mail...

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Harish Pillay <harish.pil...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > I'm trying to install RHEL 5.4 from DVD. During start installing process
> it
> > gives error : "file ncurses-5.5-24-20060715.i386.rpm cannot be opened.
> This
> > is due to missing file, a corrupt package of corrupt media. Please verify
> > your installation source."
> >
> > Please let me know urgently what can be done to fix this issue.
>
> Assuming that you have downloaded the CD from Red Hat Network, you
> might want to check it and perhaps reburn the ISO. Or, go get the RPM
> in question and check the MD5 of that a compare it against the one on
> the CD.
>
> If the media was shipped to you and it is defective, please do contact Red
> Hat (or Red Hat partner) to get a replacement.
>
> There really is no problem in sorting this out.  It is pretty straight
> forward.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> <snip>

Also, Incase you have "just got the CDs but not official from RedHat"--then,
instead of RHEL (RedHat Ent Linux), install the equivalent version of
CentOS-- CentOS is the same thing but freely downloadable and free to
copy/distribute-- because it is made by using RedHat's spources by community
rather than by redhat which charges for support etc.

Hope that helps...

Regards,

NS