Hi all,
i) First, check photon+ vendor and product by lsusb command.

@@ Output look like a below lines and first high light word is vendor
and second is product. In, my case 12d1 is vendor and 140b is product.
# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 12d1:140b Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
@@

*In My Case I did not see any info like Huwaei or epi valley . But I found a
extra '*Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0x1b7d:0700 *' line with no details.*

ii) Now, load usbserial module by the help of below modprobe and depmod
command.

@@ Again replace vendor and product with your vendor and product,,
# modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x140b
# depmod -a
@@

*Perfectly run

i get vendor and product from lsusb output by colon seperated entries.
sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1b7d product=0x0700
*

iii) photon+ data card detect as a USB modem
@@ usb_modeswitch is not default bundled in Redhat. You have to download
it source ( usb_modeswitch-1.0.5.tar.bz2 )  and copy usb_modeswitch
binary from usb_modeswitch-1.0.5 to /usr/sbin directory.
# usb_modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 0x140b -d 1
# usb_modeswitch -v 0x12d1 -p 0x140b -H 1
@@

*It is new thing for user of plug2surf whiz like me. So I get information
from my friend that photon disk is not detected by modem by default. It need
to mode switch from default status as cdrom to modem. So we  need modeswitch
command. But it is not bundled default with OS SO you will have to get it
another place I get the deb file for ubuntu karmic.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/i386/usb-modeswitch/download
How ever It installed without any problem on ubuntu jaunty.
*
iv) Edit, dailer configuration, You only have to change Username and
Password parameters. Replace first XXXXXXXXXX with username ( it may be
your data number ) and second XXXXXXXXXX with your passowrd ( it also
may be same as Username ). Note :- I am not sure /etc/wvdial.conf file
exists or not.
@@
# vim /etc/wvdial.conf
[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Username = internet
Password = internet
@@

*When I tried command sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
I get usb device as /dev/ttyACM1 against /dev/ttyACM0 in plug22surf and
/dev/ttyUSB0 in above.
I do the same change all other things are same as plug2surf.
*

v) Finally, start dial,,,,
# wvdial

*Now I can surf the net with photon on My CentOS*

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 6:17 PM, abhishek jain
<abhishek.netj...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:30 AM, akshat gupta <akshat...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > which hardware are you using?
> > In case you are using the new hardware from Epivally, you need to perform
> > an
> > unmount first before using the hardware as modem.
> > It should be mounted as a cdrom drive. unmount it and your hardware will
> be
> > accessible as modem "umount /dev/sr1" should do it (please confirm if its
> > mounted as sr1 or someother thing).
> > after that if you follow the documentation, you should be good
> >

> Hi all,
> While connecting the Tata Photon + i get the following error on executing
>
>  'wvdial'
>

> ATDT<phone number>
> ERROR
> --> Voice line detected.  Trying again.
> --> Sending: ATDT<phone number>
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> --
> Thanks and kind Regards,
> Abhishek jain

Thanks And Regards,
Amritendu Das.
+91 9900132917 ( Bangalore )
+91 9958128177 ( Delhi )

It is not because things are difficult, that we do not dare. It is because
we do not dare, they seem difficult.