On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Rahul Bhargava <rhlbh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Smruti,
>
> It is possible to dynamically resize both the processing and storage
> clusters, so it isn't necessary to start with estimates of utilization
> necessarily.  Though, where the application requires a lot of storage
> or quick disk access, this will affect the types of disks used and
> protocols, that is, whether you require a SAN using iSCSI or Fibre
> Channel with SCSI disks at what rpm or something faster.

Hi Rahul,

First of all thanks a lot for the detailed mail. It will help me a lot. But
what I am concerned about right now, is to find out the actual utilization
of each physical server. This is how I can determine how many applications I
can club into what kind of machines. Some applications are home made and
some are like SAP and Oracle DBs. I am planning to calculate the utilization
of each server over a week and month's time. Also want to calculate the peak
load it gets and when does it get that.

I am looking at resources such as CPU, Physical M/m, swap space, NIC and FC
Card utilizations. Please add whatever else comes to your mind that I should
consider too.

Assign some reliable high-end or dedicated hardware nodes as cluster
> fences.  Fencing protects your information in the case of a node
> failure in the cluster.

Yes, every global zone will be clustered.

Determine if you'd like Network Attached Storage, for network
> available storage and the filesystem, or a SAN, if you'd like to see
> block devices and let the clients handle the filesystem.  Source some
> dedicated hardware or make the appropriate partitions on each node and
> make these network visible.

About the storage, all the user and application data is already in NAS and
SAN. So, I won't be much worried about that.

RedHat Enterprise Linux has some software for managing clusters,
> Conga, with support for fencing and dynamic resizing, for example.
> Meet luci and rici.

And most of the machines are Solaris, so the chosen way to go is Zones.

Thanks again for the quick response. You guys rock!!

Regards,
Smruti
--
I took the red pill.