On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Arun Khan wrote:
> Mahesh Pai (ILUG-Delhi mailing list) convinced me to go with a laser
> printer.   I ended up ordering a Samsung ML 6140 - Linux drivers
> provided on CD.  "install.sh"  took care of the driver installation
> (Ubuntu 9.10 desktop) and it was in operation within a few minutes of
> installation.

I did some research a year or so ago and ended up replacing my slow and
inefficient bubble-jet with an HP Laserjet P1007.  There were a few
initial hiccups, mostly minor, since the model was a new one and the
drivers and middleware weren't geared to handling some of its features
(e.g. handling paper-out state gracefully.)

A couple of rounds of bug reporting and testing with the Debian driver
maintenance team and within a week the minor hiccups too were sorted
out.  Hats off to the Linux HP driver maintenance folks, their responses
were timely, pertinent and focussed.

Since then the printer has been working without a hitch.  Recently I had
to print out about 200 pages double-sided, and didn't face one printer-
related issue (leaving my own orientation and reordering experiments out
of the picture :)

Incidentally, the HP P1007 works with native Linux drivers.  You do need
to install some proprietary firmware into the printer on startup, but
there's a command that automatically downloads and stores that for you
so it's minimal hassle.

Good to know there's one more (non-PostScript) laser printer easily and
fully supported by Linux.

Regards,

-- Raju
--