2010/8/10 Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org>:
> On Tuesday 10 Aug 2010, Ankit Chaturvedi wrote:
>> I'm not a lawyer, though i have been on the wrong side of software
>> patents many times.
>>
>> It's not completely true that software patents are not allowed in
>> india. The simple answer is, it depends on the technology. Mobile,
>> multimedia codecs, et al are frought with patent issues that can be
>> lawfully upheld in india.
>
> Not a lawyer either, but AFAIR "patents on software per se" are not
> permitted in India.  This is generally interpreted as disallowing
> software patents but permitting patents of embedded software which is
> tightly bound to the hardware it runs on.  Of course, everyone
> interprets the "per se" to their own advantage.

Patents on embedded devices is different than software patents.
Software can not be seperated from embedded device and used
individually without the required hardware. As such, it does not
become a software patent.

> To the best of my knowledge a number of patents have been granted on
> software in India too, but using an under-handed technique.  However,
> standard patents like on MP3 and MPEG technology are technically not
> valid in India unless implemented embedded.

I am asking for some URL for any such patent so that I can go through
it and understand the software patents issue in more detail.

Looks like software patents in India are "just HURD not SEEN"  ;-)

-Sudhanwa

www.projects4students.com