On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM, vikas veshishth <vikas.v.i...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I didnt understand.Why is it wrong to have software patents.Or are you
> saying that the concept of "Patent" itself is wrong ??
>
> --vikas

We don't go into the broader question of whether "patent" itself is wrong.
All we are saying is that "software" is not patentable subject matter under
Indian law. Software is simply an algorithm/set of instructions for a
computer to execute certain functions and is merely an expression of an idea
which does not qualify for patent protection.

Software being granted patent (and thus, monopoly for 20 years in an
industry which witnesses innovation and development in a span of months or
even weeks) results in, contrary to the very purpose for which a patent is
granted, stifling of competition and development in the industry apart from
preventing SMEs from innovating in the face of hundreds of patent claims
filed by industry giants on a daily basis.

Krithika