Raju Mathur said on Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:50:56PM +0530,:

 > bc and dc don't meet your needs?

Frankly, have not tried either. Figuring out commands and options is
the last thing one wants while fingering through a sheaf of papers.

Thanks to all of you who responded; and apologies for the late reply;
had to extend what was supposed to be a one day trip.

And I should admit that I rarely install the <packagename>-help or
-doc packages. (of course, the man pages are). Mostly because I rarely
read them. Usually can decipher things simply by staring at the
screen, or experimenting with commands.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://[paivakil|fizzard].blogspot.com
A closed mouth gathers no feet.