Hi,

On 20 August 2010 20:46, Mahesh T. Pai <paiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Raju Mathur said on Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:50:56PM +0530,:
>
>  > bc and dc don't meet your needs?
>
> Frankly, have not tried either. Figuring out commands and options is
> the last thing one wants while fingering through a sheaf of papers.
>
> Thanks to all of you who responded; and apologies for the late reply;
> had to extend what was supposed to be a one day trip.
>
> And I should admit that I rarely install the <packagename>-help or
> -doc packages. (of course, the man pages are). Mostly because I rarely
> read them. Usually can decipher things simply by staring at the
> screen, or experimenting with commands.
>
> --
> Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://[paivakil|fizzard].blogspot.com
> A closed mouth gathers no feet.

1. Why not Gnome calculator. It has Advanced, Scientific & Financial modes.

In all but the basic mode, it has variables - a,b,c, x, y and z
Current result can be saved in any of the variables.
Using them is easy, just type x + y and the values stored in x & y
will be added.

2. KCalc has the common Memory register.

I can't recall my 'favourite' calculator. It's display was like a
paper scroll so virtually unlimited memory. I could pick and any value
from the scroll.

Regards
Anil